Yesterday I made the decision that I will get up when my alarm goes off no matter how tired or grouchy I am. Yesterday was a good day. This morning? I wanted to break my brand new phone. I was tired. I was hot. And I was hungry. For anyone who knows me that combination is definitely not a good thing. Nonetheless I got out of bed, tended to my dog’s ear infection, and tried to be kind to my husband while getting ready.
I got to work feeling famished. Pulled out a packet of oatmeal and made it for breakfast. Let me just say since 09/01/17 I’ve usually eaten a whole wheat english muffin at work because 1. it fills me and 2. the calories are pretty low. I wanted to do something different. I hated it. Just hated it. Waking up on the wrong side of the bed was starting to show.
Then someone IM’d me and said, “Good morning, I see the assassins have failed.”
I don’t know what it was about that sentence but I laughed so hard my sides hurt. Then I was afraid I was going to pee my pants from laughing so hard. This person didn’t know that I was having a rough morning.
There is an old Chinese proverb – really I doubt it’s an old Chinese proverb but I’ve always wanted to say that – that goes:
Laugh and the world laughs with you; weep and you weep alone.
I had to remember that after I could finally control my laughter. It’s good to laugh. Normal. Human. Healthy. The Bible says that our inheritance is grace, patience, wisdom, and power. When I read between the lines on the word wisdom I read laughter. Tell me, when you hear children laughing in sweet innocence doesn’t that fill your heart? Don’t you think your laughter will fill God’s heart? I had to remember that though some things don’t necessarily turn out the way they planned, doesn’t me you can’t find joy. Laughter can bring joy.
Now, before you try to dispute me oh ye of little faith, think about this…
- Even rats know how to live a little. They laugh when they get tickled. I don’t know who in their right mind is tickling rats but, you know, I’ll let them have it.
- Your brain knows when you’re a fake. Don’t laugh just to laugh. Be like Santa and let your belly shake.
- Laughing burns calories. Sign me up! The more calories I burn from non-exercise activities the happier I am.
- Laughter is attractive. When you’re in a restaurant and you hear laughing don’t you turn to see what the fun is about?
- Laughter improves sleep. Again, sign me up. Maybe waking up at 5a won’t make me such a bear.
- PS even monkeys laugh when tickled.
- For all you non-coffee drinkers – laughing when you wake up works just like coffee.
So, what say you? Laugh with me? xoxo