It’s that time again. Tonight is The Walking Dead premier. I don’t know what it is about zombies but, I love them. They’re gruesome and gross and totally dead but they just are so dumb. And so I partied like a rock star (not really since it’s a “school” night) with some friends and ate like a zombie. **If you haven’t watched last nights episode there is a spoiler alert.**
We didn’t really plan the party. Three friends shared a Pinterest board and brainstormed how we could have fun on the launch. So divvying up the responsibilities we created a night of laughter, fun, good food and of course finding out if it was Daryl or not. Goodbye, Abraham. You should have died already. It would have been bogus has Daryl been killed off. Sorry to you, Glen.
I made Flesh Eaten Brownies, Meatloaf Brain, Walking Dead Tonic and Blood Lust. The blood lust is just my version of a Lava Flow. Recipes as always are below.
The brain was fun to make. Temperance Brennan would not be proud because it’s a sorry excuse for a brain but hey, at least I know it’ll be delish for this wannabe Zombie Apocalypse survivor.
The brownies were fun to make. It is essentially red velvet brownies with cream cheese. It looks like infected flesh which is perfect because us Walkers need it.
The drinks were a hit. The original recipe for the tonic didn’t have ginger ale but one sip of that bad boy without it was a little too much for me. Well, for a school night at least. The lava flow was awesome. I didn’t know that it isn’t a familiar drink around Vancouver so it was fun making it for everyone and introducing it to them.
Having a party for the show was amazing. It was fun having everyone bring their creations together. Like the tombstones and brains…
Add that with the multiple zombie sounds we did pretty good. Kitchen Nightmares was another success.
Don’t forget to go for the head. xoxo
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 egg
- 1/4 c bread crumbs
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/4 green bell pepper, diced
- garlic salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1/2 c sugar
- 2 T brown sugar
- 2 T vinegar
- 2 T mustard
- Heat oven to 350º F.
- In a large mixing bowl add all ingredients for meatloaf. Mix well.
- Mold meatloaf mixture into a brain in an 8×8 pan or into a brain mold.
- Bake the meatloaf for 45-60 minutes
- In a small sauce pan combine the tomato sauce, sugar, brown sugar, vinegar and mustard. Simmer on low heat.
- One meatloaf is done baking, pour sauce onto the loaf.
- Bake for an additional 10-20 minutes. Basting the loaf with the sauce once or twice.
Flesh Eaten Brownies
Red Velvet Brownies
- 2 large eggs
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon liquid red food coloring
- 3/4 teaspoon white vinegar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 350º F. Spray 8×8 baking pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
Brownie Layer –
- In a small bowl, beat the 2 eggs together. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large microwave safe bowl in 30 second increments until melted.
- Stir in order 1 cup sugar, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, cocoa powder, salt, food coloring, and vinegar to melted butter.
- Whisk in the eggs
- Fold in the flour until completely incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Pour the brownie batter into prepared baking pan, leaving about 3-4 Tablespoons for the top.
- With a hand-held mixer on medium speed, beat the softened cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar, egg yolk, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla in a medium bowl until completely smooth – about 1 minute.
- Dollop spoonfuls of the cream cheese mixture on top of the prepared brownie batter.
- Cover with the last few Tablespoons of brownie batter. Glide a knife through the layers, creating a swirl pattern.
Bake the brownies for 28-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Enjoy.
Walking Dead Tonic
- Frozen raspberries
- 2 oz Raspberry Chocolate Vodka
- 2 oz Kahlua (original)
- 1 oz Ginger Ale
- Fill your martini glass with as many raspberries as you’d like, they act as your icecubes.
- Add Kahlua, Vodka and Ginger Ale and swirl.
- 8 oz Malibu Caribbean Rum With Coconut
- 6 oz Cream of Coconut
- 8 oz Pineapple Juice
- 8 oz Whipped Rum
- 16 oz Strawberry Daiquiri Mix
- 3 cups ice (divided)
- In a blender, combine ice, whipped rum and strawberry mix. Blend until smooth.
- Divide strawberry rum puree among 4 serving glasses.
- Clean and wash out blender.
- Add Malibu rum, pineapple juice, cream of coconut, and ice. Blend until smooth.
- Slowly pour pineapple coconut mixture into the glass. The red mixture will evenly swirl with the white mixture.
- Garnish with a pineapple wedge and serve immediately.